Skip to main content

When you are caught completely off guard!

Driving home singing along to the radio in the sunshine, enjoying the early finish and the chance to get home and have some fun. Then completely out of the blue, a pain unlike any other shoots right through me. A sharp pain that hits me deep inside. All of a sudden I have tears in my eyes and my legs won't stop shaking. I am less than 2 miles away from my house but I am so worried I won't make it there. I am stuck in traffic which means I have to clutch control when all I want to do is curl up in a ball with a hot water bottle and a ton of codeine in my system. 
So I have a multiple choice option:

1. I pull over and wait for the pain to ease. Better to be safe than sorry.
2. Push through the pain and get home as fast as the traffic will allow me.
3. Pull over and call my Dad to come pick me up while crying down the phone.

Option 3 is a no go as I know he will be out and unable to collect me. So do I pull over and wait for the pain to ease, which based on my history could take some time and without medication it may not go anywhere. The only real option I have is to (WO)man up push through and get home as safely and as quickly as I can, so I can take some strong painkillers and curl up in bed before I pass out.
Thankfully the traffic subsides and I make it home in one piece if not pain free. Now I after some codeine, a cosy blanket and a few episodes of Gossip Girl later. I can finally sit up and type.
This flare up really came out of no where and it reminded me of how cruel this illness can be and how quickly it can take everything you had planned away. No matter how many times I tell myself Im strong, that I can beat this and be the person I want to be. Live the life I want to live, deep down im not so sure thats true....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What if Wonder Woman had Fibromyalgia?

So I am a huge fan of superheroes. I love all the Marvel and DC shows and films and am loving the new Comic Cool revival that is happening. I was watching Wonder Woman (again) the other night and started to think to myself “What if Wonder Woman suffered from a chronic pain condition like Fibromyalgia?” or “What if Super-girl had Endometriosis?” what then would happen to the worlds they protect? It stands to reason that if these superheroes have heightened strength and powers then if they suffered from a chronic pain condition then the pain and symptoms would be heightened too. Now I know the purists out there will say they are Gods and Aliens and there DNA wouldn’t suffer from a human condition. Well you may be right, however think for a moment that they as a race can suffer from sickness just as we do. Allow yourself to believe that these could be very similar to our illness and conditions we suffer and strive to find cures for. If that were the case then its plausible they could b

At the beginning of my fibro journey..

It started so slowly that I didn't even realise the symptoms were linked. It took my father watching a random show on television to put it together. The first time I realised something wasn't normal I was at home and I noticed how fast my heart was beating. I had never had palpitations before so when I could see my heart beating through my chest I got a little scared. The palpitations kept coming back and I started to feel dizzy. I first thought that my blood sugar was low. Its hard to explain the fog, the only way I can try is its like I am watching myself through a long lens. I can see my actions but I cant control them. I started to get these a lot over the next few weeks, at home, in work and even when I was driving - this scared me even more.  I had lived with pelvic pain for a long time as I suffer with endometriosis and poly cystic ovary syndrome. I put the pain in my legs and  back down to these but then I started to get pain in my arms and chest too. The pain was di