Skip to main content

Be an endo(Survivor)..

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days but its been a busy week. You know those weeks where you blink and you have lost 3 days?? 
Its been a tough week so far, not helped by the terrible weather! I park about a 20 min walk away from my work and on most days I will walk in and back. It gets me some much needed fresh air and a good 40 mins of gentle exercise. The weather has been so bad that I have had to get the bus on most days. I know this should make me less tired, right?
Well actually its had the opposite effect. I started to feel lethargic and grumpy yesterday so I decided I was missing some endorphins and would need to get myself to the gym if I was to get that good feeling back.
I went to the Gym last night, for the first time since before my last laparoscopy/cystoscopy. I have a basic routine, nothing too stressful because my back is still in recovery. I was so unaware of the impact it was going to have on me. I really thought I was going to be fine. I spent 25 mins on the treadmill at a fast walk and 15 mins on the recline bike again on a low setting. I did some tension weights and that was it.
Today I was in agony. My legs felt like lead and I could only just make it in to my work today. I was so fatigued I could barely make it through my work day. I was walking around like an old lady with arthritis all day! Bending down and even getting off my chair seemed like the hardest task in the world.  It makes me so angry when I feel like this after a simple work out. I used to be relatively fit and healthy and able to do a real workout at the gym - 30 mins on the cross trainer, 20 min run, 15 min bike on a good level and lost of weights - without even feeling it. Now I have trouble just putting my gym clothes on!! 
I would like to say that I know I will get back to that some day, that I will build up my fitness and feel stronger and happier again. I really don't know if that will ever happen. I know this is all sounding very miserable and woe is me but sometimes thats exactly how I feel. Endometriosis takes so much away from us. It does it little by little, bit by bit. So much that you don't really notice how much you have lost until its all gone. Its clever I will give it that much recognition. It starts with a few days a month when you are in so much pain you can't even begin to plan on doing anything, Then it adds a few more days during ovulation striking you down with sharp intense pain. Slowly it becomes more bad days than good. It takes away your energy bit by bit stopping you from making plans or visiting family and friends. It obliterates you dreams of one day being a parent to what would have been the most important thing in your life. When you look back and realise how much you have lost already it then starts to take away your happiness. Depression, pain, sickness, tiredness, all these start to take hold and thats when it starts to take away your dreams of a successful career. It takes away everything until all thats left is a shell.
So what do we do when we have lost all this?
Well we have 2 choices:
Give up and let it eat away at you forever
or
Fight it, every minute, every hour, every day. Stay strong and become a survivor! Learn where you can push it and when you have to rest. Become spontaneous instead of planning events do them when you feel you can. Rebuild your dreams, but be prepared to change them if needed. Be as happy as you can as often as you can but most importantly be honest, with yourself, with your loved ones and with the world. Don't be afraid to be who you are because who you are is amazing!

Be strong.Be a fighter.Be a survivor.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you are caught completely off guard!

Driving home singing along to the radio in the sunshine, enjoying the early finish and the chance to get home and have some fun. Then completely out of the blue, a pain unlike any other shoots right through me. A sharp pain that hits me deep inside. All of a sudden I have tears in my eyes and my legs won't stop shaking. I am less than 2 miles away from my house but I am so worried I won't make it there. I am stuck in traffic which means I have to clutch control when all I want to do is curl up in a ball with a hot water bottle and a ton of codeine in my system.  So I have a multiple choice option: 1. I pull over and wait for the pain to ease. Better to be safe than sorry. 2. Push through the pain and get home as fast as the traffic will allow me. 3. Pull over and call my Dad to come pick me up while crying down the phone. Option 3 is a no go as I know he will be out and unable to collect me. So do I pull over and wait for the pain to ease, which based on my histo

What if Wonder Woman had Fibromyalgia?

So I am a huge fan of superheroes. I love all the Marvel and DC shows and films and am loving the new Comic Cool revival that is happening. I was watching Wonder Woman (again) the other night and started to think to myself “What if Wonder Woman suffered from a chronic pain condition like Fibromyalgia?” or “What if Super-girl had Endometriosis?” what then would happen to the worlds they protect? It stands to reason that if these superheroes have heightened strength and powers then if they suffered from a chronic pain condition then the pain and symptoms would be heightened too. Now I know the purists out there will say they are Gods and Aliens and there DNA wouldn’t suffer from a human condition. Well you may be right, however think for a moment that they as a race can suffer from sickness just as we do. Allow yourself to believe that these could be very similar to our illness and conditions we suffer and strive to find cures for. If that were the case then its plausible they could b

Living with an invisible illness.

Living with an Invisible Illness? From the moment I was told by my GP that I may have endometriosis I was straight on the internet and advice forums. One of the most commonly used phrases I found was "living with an invisible illness".  When I first read this I felt like fist bumping the air and shouting YES! at the top of my voice. Suddenly I wasn't just the only one who felt like this. I had always felt like a bit of a whimp for being so rubbish that I couldn't just get on with my life during Painful monthly periods. I saw my friends and family get through it without any trouble or moaning and not having to even take paracetamol. I on the other hand was doubled over in pain, dosed up on codeine with a hot water bottle and bleeding so heavily sometimes that I couldn't move from the toilet. Why was I so different? Then the pain just carried on. It didn't matter where in my cycle I was and it was suddenly all around my abdomen, sharp and stabbing in my back